Thailand has been removed from the travel red list. The announcement from the UK government means that travellers returning from Thailand will no longer be required to self-isolate at a quarantine hotel on arrival in England. The new rules come into effect on 11 October, 2021. And with fully vaccinated travellers already able to visit Thailand without the need for quarantine on arrival, it’s a welcome and timely boost for Thailand’s travel industry.
Returning to the UK
Check the UK government rules for travel to England (and guidance notes for Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland) from abroad.
News update: 12 October, 2021
In a televised address to the nation on 11 October, Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha announced more details about the plan to reopen Thailand. The details still need to be agreed by all parties involved, but could see an end to quarantine for fully vaccinated visitors from some countries (including the UK) as early as 1 November, 2021. We will add updates here once everything is formally approved.
Thailand’s ‘Sandbox’ locations
Thailand has adopted a phased reopening plan using the ‘Sandbox’ strategy. This enables overseas travellers who have been fully vaccinated against Covid-19 to travel directly to some of Thailand’s most popular destinations without the need to quarantine. The Sandbox arrangements are part of a wider plan to fully reopen Thailand to international visitors.
Main requirements for quarantine-free travel to Thailand’s Sandbox locations
- Proof of Covid-19 vaccination is required (both jabs)
- Obtain a Certificate of Entry (CoE) before departure
- Travel insurance with Covid-19 cover
- Must arrive directly into one of the applicable destinations*
(*Passengers may soon be allowed to transit via Bangkok Suvarnabhumi airport. Please see the rules for each Sandbox location for full details)
- Present a negative PCR test result (issued no longer than 72 hours before departure)
- Covid-19 test on arrival
- Stay at SHA Plus accommodation/hotel (this is accommodation/hotel with enhanced safety protocols and where at least 70% of staff have been vaccinated)
- Minimum number of 7 nights stay at the Sandbox destination before travelling onwards around Thailand
Sandbox frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Fan Club Thailand
Tourism Thailand (UK & Ireland)
We are here to help you experience the best of amazing Thailand. Bookmark our online magazine for ideas and tips for what to see and do in Thailand, and follow us on social media for even more travel inspiration.