There are many colourful festivals taking place around Thailand throughout the year. Some of these events, such as the Songkran New Year Water Festival, are celebrated nationwide and the dates are fixed in advance. However, for a number of Thai festivals and Buddhist holidays, the exact date varies each year depending on the lunar calendar. These dates aren’t always confirmed until much nearer the time, but we will add updates once known. And for any of you who are missing Thailand, we will also highlight dates of special Thai-themed events taking place around the UK and Ireland. Check out our news and events page for more details.
- New Year’s Day (public holiday): January 1
- Children’s Day: January 9, 2021
- Teachers’ Day: January 16, 2021
- Bo Sang Umbrella and Sankhampaeng Handicrafts Festival, Chiang Mai: January 15-17, 2021
- Chiang Mai Flower Festival: February 5-7, 2021
- Chinese Lunar New Year: February 12, 2021
- Makha Bucha Day (public holiday): February 26, 2021
- Trang Underwater Wedding: usually held mid-February to include Valentine’s Day
- Phuket International Blues Rock Festival: mid/late February
- Poy Sang Long Festival: held at various locations around north Thailand, particularly in Mae Hong Son (late March/early April). Date for 2021 to be confirmed.
- Chakri Memorial Day (public holiday): April 6
- Songkran Thai New Year Water Festival (public holiday): April 13-15
- Labour Day (public holiday): May 1
- Coronation Day (public holiday): May 4
- Visakha Bucha Day (public holiday): May 26, 2021
- Royal Ploughing Ceremony, Bangkok: date varies, usually held in May. Date for 2021 to be confirmed
- Rocket Festivals, Isaan: date varies, usually held mid/late May. Date for 2021 to be confirmed.
- Birthday of HM Queen Suthida (public holiday): June 3.
- Phi Ta Khon Ghost Festival, Loei: date varies, usually held in June. Date for 2021 to be confirmed.
- Asahna Bucha Day (public holiday): July 24, 2021
- Khao Phansa: July 25, 2021
- Ubon Ratchathani Candle Festival: July 23-25, 2021
- Birthday of HM King Maha Vajiralongkorn (Rama X) (public holiday): July 28
- Phuket Yachting Race Week: date for 2021 to be confirmed.
- Pai Jazz & Blues Festival: date for 2021 to be confirmed.
- HM Queen Sirikit The Queen Mother’s Birthday (public holiday): August 12. Also celebrated as Mother’s Day.
- Por Tor (Hungry Ghost Festival), Phuket: date for 2021 to be confirmed.
- Thai National Flag Day: September 28
- HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej Memorial Day (public holiday): October 13
- Awk Phansa: October 21, 2021
- Chulalongkorn Day (public holiday): October 23
- Vegetarian Festival: date for 2021 to be confirmed
- Loy Krathong: November 19, 2021
- Yi Peng Lantern Festival, Chiang Mai November 18-20, 2021 (to be confirmed)
- River Kwai Bridge Festival and Red Cross Fair, Kanchanaburi: date for 2021 to be confirmed.
- Pattaya International Fireworks Festival: date for 2021 to be confirmed.