There are many colourful festivals taking place around Thailand throughout the year. Some of these events, such as the Songkran New Year Water Festival, are celebrated nationwide and the dates are fixed in advance. However, for a number of Thai festivals and Buddhist holidays, the exact date varies each year depending on the lunar calendar. These dates aren’t always confirmed until much nearer the time, but we will add updates once known. And for any of you who are missing Thailand, we will also highlight dates of special Thai-themed events taking place around the UK and Ireland. Check out our news and events page for more details.
(tbc) = to be confirmed
- New Year’s Day (public holiday): 1 January
- Children’s Day: 8 January 2022
- Teachers’ Day: 15 January 2022
- Bo Sang Umbrella and Sankhampaeng Handicrafts Festival, Chiang Mai: 14-16 January 2022 (tbc)
- Chinese Lunar New Year: 1 February 2022
- Chiang Mai Flower Festival: 4-6 February 2022
- Makha Bucha Day (public holiday): 16 February 2022
- Trang Underwater Wedding: usually held mid-February to include Valentine’s Day
- Poy Sang Long Festival: held at various locations around north Thailand, particularly in Mae Hong Son (late March/early April).
- Chakri Memorial Day (public holiday): 6 April
- Songkran Thai New Year Water Festival (public holiday): 13-15 April
- Labour Day (public holiday): 1 May
- Coronation Day (public holiday): 4 May
- Royal Ploughing Ceremony, Bangkok: 13 May 2022
- Visakha Bucha Day (public holiday): 15 May 2022 (tbc)
- Rocket Festivals, Isaan: Date varies, usually held mid/late May.
- Birthday of HM Queen Suthida (public holiday): 3 June
- Phi Ta Khon Ghost Festival, Loei: Date varies, usually held in June.
- Asahna Bucha Day (public holiday): 13 July 2022
- Khao Phansa: 14 July 2022
- Ubon Ratchathani Candle Festival: 13-15 July 2022
- Birthday of HM King Maha Vajiralongkorn (Rama X) (public holiday): 28 July
- Phuket Yachting Race Week: Date for 2022 (tbc)
- Pai Jazz & Blues Festival: Date for 2022 (tbc)
- HM Queen Sirikit The Queen Mother’s Birthday (public holiday): 12 August. Also celebrated as Mother’s Day.
- Por Tor (Hungry Ghost Festival), Phuket: Date for 2022 (tbc)
- Thai National Flag Day: 28 September
- HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej Memorial Day (public holiday): 13 October
- Awk Phansa: Date for 2022 (tbc)
- Chulalongkorn Day (public holiday): 23 October
- Vegetarian Festival: Phuket Vegetarian Festival Date for 2022 (tbc)
- Loy Krathong: 8 November 2022 (tbc)
- Yi Peng Lantern Festival, Chiang Mai 7-9 November 2022 (tbc)
- Pattaya International Fireworks Festival: Date for 2022 (tbc)
- River Kwai Bridge Festival and Red Cross Fair, Kanchanaburi: Date for 2022 (tbc)
- King Bhumibol Birthday Commemoration Day (public holiday): 5 December. Also celebrated as Father’s Day and National Day.
- Constitution Day (public holiday): 10 December
- New Year’s Eve (public holiday): 31 December