Grilled chicken (gai yang) is a popular dish that can be found throughout Thailand. Different regions have their own take on this simple dish with different marinades used to make the chicken more succulent. Although gai yang can be eaten on its own as a tasty treat, the classic Thai way to enjoy this dish is to serve it with sticky rice (khao niao) and papaya salad (som tam). In this healthy gai yang recipe from Amatara Wellness Resort in Phuket, turmeric (khamin), garlic (kratiem) and lemongrass (takrai) are used for the chicken marinade. These ingredients are good for digestion and help boost the immune system. When served with papaya salad you will also get additional health benefits to help fight against bacteria.
- 180g (1 piece) chicken breast
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 teaspoons organic soy sauce
- Cut lemongrass into small pieces.
- Using a mortar and pestle, or food processor, combine black peppercorns, lemongrass, and garlic together until all the ingredients are well crushed and become a well combined paste.
- Place 1 tbsp of lemongrass paste into the bowl, add turmeric powder and soy sauce then mix them well.
- Put the chicken breast in the bowl to marinate, rub the sauce to cover the chicken breast then store in a covered container in the refrigerator overnight.
- Warm the pan/grill, use medium heat then brush the pan with some oil.
- Grill the chicken nicely on both sides, then lower the heat and cover the pan with a lid and leave it on the heat for around 6-8 minutes depending on the size of the chicken breast (or you finish in the oven on medium heat).
- Once the chicken is cooked, let it rest for a few minutes before slicing. Serve with papaya salad (som tam) and sticky rice.
Located on the southern Thai island of Phuket, Amatara Wellness Resort offers all-inclusive wellness programs in a luxurious setting overlooking the Andaman Sea. With spacious accommodation, healthy cuisine, and personalised wellness treatments and activities, Amatara Wellness Resort is an excellent choice for a health and wellness holiday.
You may also enjoy:
THAI FOOD RECIPES: SOM TAM (PAPAYA SALAD)
Fan Club Thailand
Tourism Thailand (UK & Ireland)
We are here to help you experience the best of amazing Thailand. Bookmark our online magazine for ideas and tips for what to see and do in Thailand, and follow us on social media for even more travel inspiration.